img-name-mising

The Ossuary Chapel in le Châble

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel in Le Châble

  • The chapel was built in 1561, 25 years after the entire church construction was completed.

  • Indeed, when Maurice Bruschex, the parish priest for Bagnes, took charge of the chapel on 2 March 1562, the report stated that his letters of induction and collation were read “in front of the recently constructed chapel where bones were kept”. The chapel sheltered the bones dug up during the frequent turnover of graves, due to the constraints of the small graveyard surrounding the church. The giant crucifix, the Pietà and the depiction of Christ in the tomb with the evangelists which one...
    Indeed, when Maurice Bruschex, the parish priest for Bagnes, took charge of the chapel on 2 March 1562, the report stated that his letters of induction and collation were read “in front of the recently constructed chapel where bones were kept”. The chapel sheltered the bones dug up during the frequent turnover of graves, due to the constraints of the small graveyard surrounding the church. The giant crucifix, the Pietà and the depiction of Christ in the tomb with the evangelists which one sees in the ossuary were likely once part of the monumental altar of Our Lady of Compassion in the church.

    The ossuary chapel underwent restoration works between 1974 and 1982. It is decorated with the coats of arms of those who contributed to the restoration. It is currently used as a meeting room and is called the “Saint Jean room”.
  • Spoken languages

Our suggestions