St-Marc Chapel

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel in Le Châble

  • Along the road that leads from Le Châble to Martinet, St Marc chapel stands alone at the bottom of La Ruinette.

  • According to a document dating back to 1449, the chapel in Le Désert was built around the middle of the 15th century; Le Désert was a little hamlet that was abandoned at the start of the 18th century. The chapel also lay abandoned until an episcopal order was issued for it be demolished (at the end of the 18th century). This was in vain...but what should we make of it? According to the record of an episcopal visit in 1706, it was founded by the aristocrat Jean Bémond de Conthey.

    We know...
    According to a document dating back to 1449, the chapel in Le Désert was built around the middle of the 15th century; Le Désert was a little hamlet that was abandoned at the start of the 18th century. The chapel also lay abandoned until an episcopal order was issued for it be demolished (at the end of the 18th century). This was in vain...but what should we make of it? According to the record of an episcopal visit in 1706, it was founded by the aristocrat Jean Bémond de Conthey.

    We know that for as long as Bagnes was a seigneury of St Maurice Abbey (at the end of the 18th century), executions took place near the chapel. In 1955, the parish priest Louis-Marie Ducrey led the move to restore it.
  • Spoken languages

Our suggestions