See photos (3)

St Etienne Chapel

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel in Verbier
  • Dedicated to Saint Stephen, the first martyr.

  • The chapel of St. Stephen, which may well be located on the site of the original church, whose owner it has retained, is the oldest in the parish.

    It was consecrated by Bishop Walter Supersaxo in 1477. It is presumed that it had been desecrated by the troops who had passed through the Entremont area the previous two years during the Burgundian wars. During this consecration, the bishop granted 40 days of indulgence to those who visited this chapel.

    Under the impetus of Canon Marcel...
    The chapel of St. Stephen, which may well be located on the site of the original church, whose owner it has retained, is the oldest in the parish.

    It was consecrated by Bishop Walter Supersaxo in 1477. It is presumed that it had been desecrated by the troops who had passed through the Entremont area the previous two years during the Burgundian wars. During this consecration, the bishop granted 40 days of indulgence to those who visited this chapel.

    Under the impetus of Canon Marcel Giroud, parish priest of Liddes from 1948 to 1959, a total restoration was undertaken, bringing this elegant baroque chapel back to its former glory.

    It was renovated in 1991/1992.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Nos suggestions