See photos (2)

Bruson Chapel

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church at Bruson

  • Dedicated to Saint Michael.

  • Erected in 1658, this minuscule building, enclosed with clerestory windows, didn’t extend further than the interior columns. It was made up of just a choir and a vaulted nave. The entrance porch with its supporting columns was added at a later date, but we don’t know when. In 1834, the bell tower was built on the entrance to the nave. In 1896, the arches along the porch became part of the building so as to increase the space available for worshippers. In 1924, the vestry was built. In 1946,...
    Erected in 1658, this minuscule building, enclosed with clerestory windows, didn’t extend further than the interior columns. It was made up of just a choir and a vaulted nave. The entrance porch with its supporting columns was added at a later date, but we don’t know when. In 1834, the bell tower was built on the entrance to the nave. In 1896, the arches along the porch became part of the building so as to increase the space available for worshippers. In 1924, the vestry was built. In 1946, the vault was repaired and the render restored. In 1960, the chapel underwent a complete restoration which resulted in some local disputes…

    The paintings and windows are the work of Jean-Claude Morend. In the choir, there is a painting of the Archangel St-Michael.

    The chapel is dedicated to Saint Michael, patron saint of the village, whose feast day is celebrated on 8 May rather than 29 September. Certain members of the older generation in the village say that the people of Bruson chose this date because the village was empty of residents in the autumn since all the shepherds were in mayens, their chalets on the mountain pastures.
  • Environment

    • Mountain location
    • Resort centre
  • Spoken languages

Our suggestions