Chapelle de Verbier Village

Chapel in Verbier-Village

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel in Verbier Station

  • This is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew

  • It is apparent that a chapel was going to be built around 1680. But where? In La Crettaz, Bry or La Luy? It was difficult to decide. Mathieu Bruchez bequeathed 200 florins enabling the church to be quickly built and completed in 1686 with a chapel featuring a clerestory roof. In La Crettaz the rosary was recited here every day by everybody but legend has it that the inhabitants of Bry and La Luy were not given access to take part in Mass until 1787.

    However, with its 15 seats, it was...
    It is apparent that a chapel was going to be built around 1680. But where? In La Crettaz, Bry or La Luy? It was difficult to decide. Mathieu Bruchez bequeathed 200 florins enabling the church to be quickly built and completed in 1686 with a chapel featuring a clerestory roof. In La Crettaz the rosary was recited here every day by everybody but legend has it that the inhabitants of Bry and La Luy were not given access to take part in Mass until 1787.

    However, with its 15 seats, it was insufficient and in 1866 – thanks to the generosity of the local people and under the leadership of Euchariste Besson – a new warm and attractive chapel built entirely of stone was inaugurated. From the former building it retains the chancel, altar, a painting of Saint Peter and Saint Paul and the one of Saint Bartholomew with a knife surrounded by Saint Francis and Saint Mary Magdalene (patrons of the two donors, François Bruchez and Marie-Madeleine Courten). In 1874, a new bell weighing 274kg, smelted by the firm Treybaux in Vevey, was installed. It is still the chapel’s bell today.
  • Spoken languages

Our suggestions